Coaching and Effective Feedback
Even though feedback and coaching are used at different times, they are both very important parts of a manager’s role
Feedback should not be confused with passing out criticism. Unfortunately, when managers are under pressure, this tends to be the case. It is at these times that emotions get in the way of effective management.
Feedback is simply sharing observations or concerns with an individual. It is more about telling. Coaching on the other hand is more about asking. It is the process of allowing people to take responsibility for their own development. When coaching is effective, it can result in higher performance, greater enthusiasm and greater job satisfaction. These are factors in which both the individual and the organization benefit.
Coaching is the key to unlocking the potential of employees within any organization. For managers it will improve their communication skills, their ability to inspire as well as their ability to plan and mentor.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Define the difference between coaching and feedback in an effort to be more successful in developing employees
- Facilitate the exploration of needs, motivations, desires, skills and thought processes to assist their direct reports in making real, lasting change.
- Use questioning techniques to facilitate employee’s own thought processes in order to identify solutions and actions
- Support the employee in setting appropriate goals and methods of assessing progress in relation to these goals
- Observe, listen and ask questions to understand the employee’s situation
- Encourage a commitment to action and the development of lasting personal growth & change.
- Maintain supportive and non-judgmental views of employee’s pain points and aspirations.
- Ensure that employees develop personal competencies and do not develop unhealthy dependencies on the coaching or mentoring relationship.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the process, using objective measures wherever possible to ensure the relationship is successful and the employee is achieving their personal goals.